Tuesday, July 5, 2011

An Interesting Way to Make a Friend

If you really knew me, you would know that this story is not really all that odd.  I am rather conventional, but I do appreciate things out of the norm and am often noticing the very things that others skim over.  So, the Monday of the July 4th holiday weekend in 2006, I went on this date that changed my life.  There are certain people that just come into your life and change it and help you learn about yourself and it's a good thing.  So, here's the long story...

My friend--we'll call her Caitlin--insisted that I get on a certain dating site that has a name that is a word that you use to light a candle.  I was like, "NOOOOOO!"  She insisted.  In fact, she paid for the membership.  So, I went on a date with one guy with weird blue eyes, then this date....and so, it begins.  We had a great time on our first date and I thought..."Hey, this is easier than I thought it would be."  We proceeded to date for 13 months with a brief 4-day breakup about five months in.  Now, the hindsight on this one is ridiculous.  I really have nothing remarkable to say about the relationship itself.  It was...well, boring, for the most part, except he had a little girl and she was awesome.  She was 8 at the time I met her and we immediately hit it off.

I moved in with him (stupid!) and because we couldn't seem to have an adult conversation about what bills and such I was going to pay, I moved out.  I basically tried over and over again to have a conversation about what he wanted me to pay and he couldn't seem to do it.  I know...crazy.  Somebody's trying to give you money and you don't take it.  Anyway, little girl and I were distraught and I just couldn't imagine life without her.  I moved out and it totally sucked thinking I'd never see her again.

I had met little girl's mother on a handful of occasions and she was always nice to me.  I knew every bad thing she'd ever allegedly done (messy divorce, to say the least).  After what's his face and I split, I moved on and just figured little girl would text and call and email until she didn't need to anymore.  She had already sent a handful of emails telling me that she missed me and she loved me.  It killed me to think I'd never see her again.  Then...one day, the phone rang.

It was a sunny Saturday and it was little girl's mom on the phone.  She invited me to come visit.  I said that I would and asked for the nearest hotel and she said, "Oh, no...you'll stay at our house."  No, that won't be weird at all.  So, to make a long story short....that was September of 2007 and I just picked little girl's mom up from the airport on Saturday...that would've been July 2, 2011...almost 4 years later.

See?  That date changed my life forever.  And sometimes you just meet friends in strange ways and that's never a bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment